OS X ethernet self-assigned ip

Recently I had a problem with my mac, my wifi connection was working properly but my ethernet connection was not it was getting a self-assigned IP. After checking the obvious culprits (cable, router, switch) it turns out that the problem was elsewhere.

After searching the internet I realized that I wasn't the only one having this problem, and there are a lot of fixes such as :

  • Deleting the "/Machintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist" and rebooting
  • Resetting the PRAM
  • Recreating a network configuration

By chance I decided to try and disable IPv6 on the network interfaces like so :

networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi
networksetup -setv6off Ethernet

And after rebooting it worked !!

So there you go; I hope this works for you too!!

On a final note: Another thing I was about to try was uninstalling the virtual interfaces of my VMWARE but it didn't get to that

No comments:

Post a Comment

OSX show used ports or listening applications with their PID

On OSX you can display applications listening on a given port using the lsof the commands described below will show listening application...